This is an informal workshop session with a series of short presentations and collegial group interactions. Ideas and questions are welcomed; working together in small groups to brainstorm possibilities, apply problem solving strategies and share ideas.
- Registration: 9am
- Start: 9:30am
- Finish: 12noon
- Morning tea provided
- Please BRING water bottle and name tag – sustainable solutions
- COST: $20
Carole Peters PhD
- Facilitator (see Forum Program for background details).
Melissa Howe BSc Environmental Management
- Ecologist based in Denmark WA.
- Experience in bushland management, bushland regeneration and flora surveys.
- Working for Denmark Environment Centre (DEC) researching fire-sensitive flora species and ecosystems. Her workshop presentation will explore fire-sensitive specie and ecosystems and response to fire, ecological considerations prior to burning, and conservation monitoring pre and post fire for community members.
Tony Pedro – Forest Protection and Conservation
- Farmer, volunteer firefighter and environmental activist, South West WA Forests.
- Experience: Sixty years farming and firefighting adjacent to several south west forest types, observing the effectiveness of the current bush fire protection system, primarily based on hazard reduction burning.
- Conservation and protection of aged forests: Video presentation on the Tingle Forest, a prototype of a new age firefighting machine (Frontline Fire Fighter) and the potential for rapid detection and immediate at source suppression.
Sandra Boulter LLB – Role of Local Government Councils in fire management
- Deputy Chair and Secretary of the Local Government Elected Members’ Association (LGEMA) Inc.
- Former nurse and midwife, and legal practitioner specialising in administrative law. UWA Law School planning law prize.
- Former Local Government Sustainable Planning and Development Director, and Councillor.
- Law publications relating to coastal planning and burning authorisation.
- Presenter at Kimberley fire forums.
Philip Zylstra PhD – Bushfire Behaviour Modelling
- Adjunct Assoc Prof Curtin Uni (modelling the connections between ecosystems and disturbance by fire); Research Fellow, Uni of Wollongong (Fire & Fauna modelling)
- Q&A session (see Forum Program for background details).
Full Program: Fire and Biodiversity Forum Program
Full Timetable: Fire and Biodiversity Forum Timetable
Forum Flyer: Fire and Biodiversity Forum Flyer
For more information contact: [email protected]
- Convenor – Dr Carole Peters
- Compère – Dr Mignon Shardlow
- Welcome to Country – Mr Iszaac Webb & Dr Wayne Webb
- Dr Liz Barbour & Mr Mikey Cernotta
- Emer Prof Don Bradshaw
- Dr Valerie Densmore
- Prof Kingsley Dixon
- Dr David Galloway
- Mr Ed Hatherley
- Dr Anna Hopkins
- Mr David Knowles
- Emer Prof Carmen Lawrence
- Prof Stephen van Leeuwen
- Dr Alison Lullfitz & Aunty Lynette Knapp
- Adjunct Assoc Prof Philip Zylstra